Re: Lilypond-book not working after installing Python 3

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Lilypond-book not working after installing Python 3
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 08:19:13 +0000

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:49:39AM +0100, Joseph Wakeling wrote:
> Graham Percival wrote:
> > By the way, I estimate that switching all our scripts to python
> > 3.x would take 40 hours, with an additional 20 hours required to
> > make GUB include python 3.x in the installers.
>
> I'm not much of a Pythonist alas, never mind the complexity of teaching
> myself properly how the internals of LP work; but it might be worth
> adding something to the documentation -- I guess the Windows install
> instructions? -- emphasising that Lilypond should be run with Python 2.4
> or later, and NOT with Python 3.x (and perhaps explaining how people who
> need Python 3 can run/use it effectively without disturbing Lilypond).

Not in this case.  Trying to make lilypond-book look at python 3
instead of the packaged python 2.4 requires manually editing
installed files that nobody should ever edit.

There's no problem with having python 3.x installed globally; the
lilypond-book that comes in GUB should look at the python 2.4 we
distribute by default.

Cheers,
- Graham