Re: Strange message with autochange

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: Strange message with autochange
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 10:55:03 +0100

On 01.03.2010, at 06:03, George_ wrote:
I disagree. Once again citing my hypothetical 500-bar fugue, it seems
incomprehensible to me that there should not be a compromise between the autochange function and manual staff changes. It just blows my mind that something so feature-rich as Lilypond should skimp on such a simple and
intuitively straighforward idea.

See Mats' suggestion.

On that note (no pun intended) using a spacer rest (r16*1/2 s16*1/2) screws
up the barcheck for the rest of the piece.

It shouldn't. make sure that the math adds up so that there are the correct number of beats in the measure.

Agreed. The impression the docs give is certainly not one where I'm clear on the fact that either I leave it completely up to \autochange, or the staff changes are completely specified manually by me. And while both extremes may be useful in the short snippets that are in the docs, they are much less practical for the long, multivoice pieces that many Lilypond users would
like to engrave.

I disagree. I use four variables, two which change staff and set \voiceOne/\voiceTwo and two which simply change staff, \csd \csu \cu \cd (or something like that) I have no problems inserting a manual \csu whenever I need to, in pieces that are far longer than just 500 measures.