Re: Dumb Emacs lilypond-mode question

From: Arjan Bos
Subject: Re: Dumb Emacs lilypond-mode question
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 19:50:55 +0100

On 28 feb 2010, at 08:11, James Bailey wrote:

> If I remember correctly, GUI apps don't by default load your $PATH, there's a
> trick somewhere to get them to do it, I just don't remember where or how. But
> that may be what you need.

The trick is not very simple. To have full control over your environment
variables, like $PATH,  you need the file environment.plist in the ~/.MacOSX
directory.

Here's my environment.plist. Please adjust it to your settings, because using
it unmodified is asking for trouble. After changing it, you need to log out an
log in to effectuate those changes.

However, this method can interfere with desktop apps that want some default
library, instead one on your modified path. So what I do most of the time is to
open a Terminal.app and issue the `open /Applications/Emacs.app' command. This
gives me a GUI Emacs with terminal environment.

HTH,
Arjan