Re: Partials and upbeats

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Partials and upbeats
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:04:07 -0000

Mats said:
Quoting Phil Holmes <address@hidden>:
Is it correct that the \partial command applies to all voices below the
one in which it is issued,

No, the \partial command sets some properties on the Score level, so the
order shouldn't matter. Hard to say why you see such a difference
without having access to your full test file.

This was from a while back, but I've now created some snippets that show the
effect of the order on the reported barcheck error.

This version compiles cleanly (and using the "RemoveEmptyStaffContext" and
"\override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t" commands, only displays 2
staves, which is what I want):

<<
\new Staff <<
\new Voice
{
\clef "treble"
\time 4/4
 f'4  |  % 1
g'4 a'4 b'4 c''4 \bar "|."
}

\new Staff <<
\new Voice
{
\clef "treble_8"
\time 4/4
R4   |  % 1
R1*4/4  \bar "|."
}

\new Staff <<
\new Voice { \clef "treble"
\time 4/4
\partial 4  f'4  |  % 1
g'4 a'4 b'4 c''4 \bar "|."}

If I now modify the file to move the \partial to the first Staff/Voice, I
get the following error:

.... warning: barcheck failed at: -1/4
 R4   |  % 1

The snippet is:

<<
\new Staff <<
\new Voice
{
\clef "treble"
\time 4/4
 \partial 4  f'4  |  % 1
g'4 a'4 b'4 c''4 \bar "|."
}

\new Staff <<
\new Voice
{
\clef "treble_8"
\time 4/4
R4   |  % 1
R1*4/4  \bar "|."
}

\new Staff <<
\new Voice { \clef "treble"
\time 4/4
f'4  |  % 1
g'4 a'4 b'4 c''4 \bar "|."}

So it appears from this that it is important which voice or stave has the
\partial command...