Converting from a really old version - how far can I jump?

From: Ed Ardzinski
Subject: Converting from a really old version - how far can I jump?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 22:25:47 +0000

I've been chided before about still using 2.6.5, and I still find that I learn more and more, and feel satisfied with what I do with it...but it nags me I'm so far behind the discussion on this list.

My biggest con against upgrading is I don't have the time to upgrade 30 or more pieces (not to mention test/templates).  The biggest pro is that I'm having to do this already as I learn how to do better with 2.6.5 I am starting to revisit old files...and reduce the size of my final output PDF from 14 pages to 6...it takes time to rework the old files.  Possibly the same time it would take to get used to a new version and revise the old files?

So - is it possible to run the old (2.6.5) and the newest stable branch (a 2.12 version I think?) simultaneously on a WinXP box?  Or do I have to try and use my laptop (Win7 machine) for the new (or old versions), and just struggle using both machines (I really don't like to use my laptop...)?  I imagine that a lot of my music notation (the actual notes and durations and rests and beamings) can be copied over to a newer version, but my techniques in using score and contexts might need updating?

Well, I'm actually facing that now with 2.6.5 - as I had been warned (year or so ago?) by Mats - as it's hard to get/find advice, and seeing that 2.10 had the issue simplified...and I wonder, do I want to chase down the code fix for how I'm writing now in 2.6.5 or do I try to make the big leap?

And if the answer is to go stepwise through 2.8 - 2.10 - then 2.12 then I have to say "sorry boys, I'm staying in the paleozoic!"  I just don't have the time to do that...

I would appreciate any advice - suggestions.  Thanks!