Tempo markings and tempo dynamics

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Tempo markings and tempo dynamics
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:32:03 +0100

I have been creating a score that frequently has a "rall" marking followed by "a tempo" to get the performers back up to speed. I spent a while being mystified as to where my "a tempo" markings had gone, and then realised that LilyPond ignores them, since they are all the same. I checked and found that I create the "rall" marking as a \markup, as suggested in the documentation. I then looked online to see if there's any mention of using \markup for tempo variations and saw that there are a few mentions of where people want to use LilyPond to create Midi and therefore wanted the tempo variances to affect the playback speed. The response was that there are lots of different sorts of markup and they can't all be catered for. In a way, I can accept that, but it does seem odd that LilyPond won't allow me to write "a tempo" followed by "rall" followed by "a tempo", since it's 100% justifiable music markup.

I think if necessary I can work around it by using something like:

\set Score.tempoHideNote = ##t
\tempo 4 = SomeValue
\set Score.tempoHideNote = ##f

except that doesn't work either - I have to shift the \set Score.tempoHideNote = ##f further down the score to effectively turn off the display of the tempo marking.

Thoughts?

--
Phil Holmes