Problem with complete lack of spacing between stanzas

From: Arle Lommel
Subject: Problem with complete lack of spacing between stanzas
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:06:46 -0400

I am working with Lilypond 2.13.8 and have run into the problem that the
default spacing between stanzas of lyrics is unacceptably small (it has
ascenders and descenders of different lines crashing into each other). I've
searched the documentation and the web to find solutions and have found a
number of instances where people have described this problem and offered
solutions, either globally in the Lyrics context or for specific stanzas
(preferable in this case), but none of them seems to have any impact on my
file. They don't return errors, they just fail to do *anything* at all and the
stanzas stay stubbornly stuck together and ugly.

I include an abbreviated version of my file below (four stanzas are deleted for
the sake of brevity).

I would appreciate any working suggestions for how to control these spacing
issues on a per stanza basis.

Best,

Arle Lommel

\version "2.13.8"
\header {
%       title = "Alma a fa alatt, nyári piros alma"
}

#(set-default-paper-size "letter")
#(set-global-staff-size 16)
\paper{
        indent = 0\cm
        top-margin = 4.76\cm
        bottom-margin = 4.76\cm
        right-margin = 4\cm
        left-margin = 4\cm
}

melody = \relative a' {
        \key c \dorian
        \time 4/4
        \clef treble

        c4\( bes8 g8 c8 bes8 g4 | ees4 f4 g8 f4. | c2 c4\) r4 | \break
        ees'8\( ees4. d4 c4 | bes4 c4 d8 c8 d8 c8 | g2 g4\) r4 | \break

        ees'4\( ees4 d8 c4. | bes4 c4 d8 c8 d8 c8 | g2 bes4\) r4 | \break
        c4\( bes8 g8 c8 bes8 g4 | ees4 f4 g8 f4. | c2 c4\) r4 \bar "|."
}

verseOne = {
        \set stanza = #"1. "
        \lyricmode {
                Al -- ma a fa a -- latt, nyá -- ri pi -- ros al -- ma,
                Ha -- rag -- szik rám a sze -- re -- tőm é -- de -- sany -- ja,
                En -- gem gya -- láz, en -- gem tesz a vesz a szó -- ra,
                Sze -- re -- tem a lá -- nyát, nem te -- he -- tek ró -- la.

verseOneE = {
        \lyricmode {
                \override LyricText #'font-shape = #'italic
                Ap -- ple be -- neath the tree, scar -- let fruit of sum -- mer,
                Steam -- ing, fum -- ing, mad at me, my lov -- er’s moth -- er,
                Treats me like dirt, nev -- er, nev -- er good words from her,
                But I can -- not help that, for I love her daugh -- ter.

\score {
        <<
                \new Voice = "melody" {
                        \melody
                }
                \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" \verseOne
                \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" \verseOneE

        \layout { }