Re: Getting width of markup in a music function

From: Nathan Reed
Subject: Re: Getting width of markup in a music function
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 20:18:54 -0700

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 5:21 AM, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
What if you changed text-event to...

Carl, thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't have the desired effect - space does appear to one side of the text, but the rehearsal mark does not fall down into place (I guess the hspace in the markup is still occupying that space and pushing away other elements).  Moreover the rest is displaced to one side, no longer centered in the bar.  See [1] for an image of the output.

On the other hand, applying the following:

\once\override Rest #'extra-spacing-width = #'(-10 . 10)

*does* yield the desired result, as seen in [2].  Of course, I could tune the numbers manually for each instance of this narration element in the score - but I'd prefer to compute them programmatically, based on the width of the markup.

Thanks,
Nathan Reed

[1] http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/3660/layoutissue2.png
[2] http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/8969/layoutissue3.png