Re: Stem Details

From: Éditions IN NOMINE
Subject: Re: Stem Details
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 15:26:27 +0200

Hi.

Actually, the description here : http://www.kainhofer.com/~lilypond/ajax/Documentation/internals/stem_002dinterface.html is a short one, but to my mind, here's sort of an explanation :

"lengths : Default stem lengths. The list gives a length for each flag count." : so the lenths of stems are listed (somwhere but where in a .scm ?), function of the number of flags they hang.
"beamed-lengths : List of stem lengths given beam multiplicity. " : it must override the previous list function of the position of lengths in a beam. That's to say : youv'e certainly noticed that stem lengths are not the same for a specific notewhen it is beamed together with other notes or not. this list seems to opverride the previous one. i think "when a grow up", I'll be able to adapt this list to my nedds instaed of overriding each of my stem lengths !

"beamed-minimum-free-lengths :
List of normal minimum free stem lengths (chord to beams) given beam multiplicity." : ???

"beamed-extreme-minimum-free-lengths :List of extreme minimum free stem lengths (chord to beams) given beam multiplicity." ??? sorry again
"stem-shorten : How much a stem in a forced direction should be shortened. The list gives an amount depending on the number of flags and beams." : this sets in particular the lenght of the stems for higheest notes in a upper voice. You have noticed that it shortens when you get higher.

Well I'm not a professionnal and i must admit it's the first time I read this section. Hope it helps !

JMarc

Phil Burfitt a écrit :
Hello List,

Could anyone give me a detailed explanation of the following Stem details...

   beamed-minimum-free-lengths
   beamed-extreme-minimum-free-lengths

The descriptions given in the Internals documentation don't make any sense
to me (probably my ignorance).

Thank you in advance.

Phil.