Re: old vs new G clefs

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: old vs new G clefs
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 19:40:37 -0600

On 7/7/10 1:35 PM, "Tim Reeves" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I was trying to see what changes in 2.13.27  when I discovered that
> somewhere in 2.13 this happened:
>
> The LilyPond G clef has been rotated 1.5 degrees clockwise for improved
> balance. The old and new versions can be compared by looking at the
> documentation: old version, new version.
>
> But this doesn't let me see both at the same time.  Is there an easy way
> to see them both on one page for comparison without installing an older
> version alongside the new.

Unfortunately, there is only one G clef in LilyPond at a time, so it is not
possible to use LilyPond to display both clefs in one file.  The only images
I could find on the -devel list were not of the final clefs used.

You can compare two clefs side-by-side by creating two different scores and
using svg output.  Then you can copy one clef to the other document.

> Also, the page doesn't tell me what X is (in 2.13.x) where the change
> occurs, only that it occurs in 2.13 somewhere between 2.13.0 and 2.13.27.
> Any way to find out exactly where the change occurred?

To find out things like that, you need to search the git repository (not
particularly helpful, I know, but that's how it's currently set up).

Go to

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git

and search for clef.  There you'll see a commit by Marc Hohl, dated
2010-01-28, that says "Font: rotating the g clef for better appearance".
 (You also can see that it wasn't added to Changes until 2010-05-17).

Looking at the tags section of the git repository at Savannah, you can see
all of the 2.13.x releases.  2.13.12-1 is dated 4 Feb 2019; 2.13.11-1 is
dated 16 Jan 2010.

Therefore, the clef rotation was new with 2.13.12.

HTH,

Carl