Re: polymetric help

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: polymetric help
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 17:58:54 +0100

OK, I'm still only learning LilyPond and its syntax, but I think what I say is accurate and hope it will help.

If you look in the Reference, section 5.1.4, you'll see what the code I quoted does - it changes the context default settings by putting them within a \layout block. The settings we're changing are removing the timing translator and bar line engraver for the "score" context, and replacing them in the "staff" context. That way we can have different timings for each staff, rather than one for the whole score. This section (the \layout block) can go above or below the music, but it must be properly nested in the brackets/braces.

If you go back a section to 5.1.3 you'll see an alternative way of doing this - by using a "\new Score" and removing the timing translator and bar line engraver for the score and then "\new Staff" and putting them back at the staff level.

So - providing your music works OK, where you put the \layout block should be unimportant and removes the need for the "\new Score" lines at all.

Hope this helps a little.

--
Phil Holmes

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrea La Rose" <address@hidden>