Re: Emacs lily mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs lily mode
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:37:20 +0200

Tim McNamara <address@hidden> writes:

> Nicolas Sceaux wrote:
>> Having a useful lilypond mode in Emacs would be really great.
> Using the existing lilypond-mode for all my .ly file editing already
> and it's pretty useful to me- but of course there is always room for
> improvement.  What are you thinking that you'd like to see?
> I'd like to see parsing for missing/misplaced brackets, maybe some
> kind of validation function like Tidy is for HTML, since that is
> something that trips me up sometimes and can be hard to debug.

Indentation goes downhill completely sometimes (in particular when using
things like -> accents) and is hopeless regarding Scheme.  Syntax
highlighting can be rather weird.  There is no automatic conversion
between absolute and relative modes, or editor-level transpositions or
augmentation.  Syntax can't distinguish between chord mode, lyrics,
markups and so on.  You can't start a new Lilypond compilation before
killing your viewer.  You can't, say, quickly play the notes of a
passage without running them through Lilypond (since Emacs does not
understand the notes it sees).  Bar detection barfs on encountering the
first bar.  You can't let bars be entered automagically.

David Kastrup