Re: Lilypond for FL Studio ...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lilypond for FL Studio ...
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 13:24:47 +0200

Johnny Ferguson <address@hidden> writes:

> On 07/22/2010 05:49 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Johnny Ferguson<address@hidden>  writes:

>>> <rant>
>>>
>>> I think it's far too easy to make a statement like "They can still
>>> make money with GPL" especially in light of the fact that there ISN'T
>>> a GPL equivalent to FL.
>>
>> So they are not going to get a free ride on GPLed work ignoring its
>> license.  I don't see how this is cause for a rant.  After all, nobody
>> says that people should ignore _their_ license.
>
> fair enough. License is a license. Still, would the GPL actually
> prevent IL from calling a lilypond binary separately?

Unlikely, as long as the unchanged binary is merely called.

>> In contrast, "Open Source philosophy" is about all sort of mumbo
>> jumbo claiming superior other qualities as a result of providing free
>> software.
>
> I stand corrected then. Still, as nice as it is that the GPL ensures
> user freedoms, it doesn't really offer much for the developers (while
> there are exceptions, I think this is the status quo) in light of what
> it takes away from them.

It guarantees them that derivative works will remain available under the
same licensing terms.  It makes sure that nobody takes _their_ work for
a free ride and sells it without contributing back in the same manner.

>> So you see a lot of crap on the free software market, because the end
>> user jury is still out, and their case has not even started.
>>

> I think the jury is in, but the developers don't care to listen.

Why should they?  It has no jurisdiction.

> While true that as they work for free it cannot be expected of them, I
> find it perplexing that they would waste their time developing
> something in such a way that it is less usable than what the community
> wants.

Because it is what _they_ want?  Why should they bother with a
"community" that does nothing for them except call them names and
complain?

> The solution to that (I believe) comes from the proprietary
> world. Having an architect who can specify the design of a
> project/program start to finish.

Feel free to develop and design and specify a project/program start to
finish.  Then recruit your minions.

>> You might want to look at the history of "Blender"
>> <URL:http://www.blender.org/blenderorg/blender-foundation/history/>.
>>
>> Not everything is as black&white as you want to see it.
>
> Nor would I ever claim it's black and white. I'm not pro-GPL, nor am I
> pro closed-source. I believe that software should aim to benefit
> society as best as it can, and I acknowledge that the GPL aims for
> that, I simply took issue with the implication that FL could be what
> it is as a piece of GPL software.
>
> Blender is an edge-case, and while I acknowledge its quality and
> usefulness as perhaps a sign of potential, I don't believe it's
> statistically representative of open-source software.

So you did not look at the history of Blender after all and missed the
point.

> While I don't deny that OSS will mature, I question its ability to
> keep up with the curve unless it finds a more effective way to
> allocate its resources and manage its design.

You are aware that Blender did not keep up with the curve until it found
a more effective way to allocate its resources and manage its design by
_switching_ _from_ _proprietary_ _development_ _to_ _Open_ _Source_?

> That it offers more benefits in the form of potential is not in
> question, but that it can offer software on par with commercial
> applications is in question.

Blender was not able to stay "on par" while being commercial software.

> Just personally, I see a correlation between quality and development
> style. As a windows user, I used Fireworks and FL Studio. I've come to
> linux, and I still haven't found equivalent functionality.

Equivalent functionality does not fall magically from the sky, unless
you are living in a fairy dream.

--
David Kastrup