collisions with optional voice ...

From: apqc
Subject: collisions with optional voice ...
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:38:12 -0700 (PDT)

I'm trying to put together a piece of choral music and am working on the alto
line. At one point the altos split but the top part is optional. I want the
optional part to display with smaller notes. I have managed this with the
following:

                <<{ \set fontSize = #-3
                cs4. b8 a4 a a2 r4 gs8 a b2. a4 gs2 r4 a4 a2. a4 a2. a4 a2( gs)
a4} \\ {
\unset fontSize
                a2 a4 a a2 r4 e4 e( gs2) a4 e2 r4 cs4 d2. e4 fs e4 d2( e) e2
e4}>> |

but there are collisions between the parts and the whole thing looks untidy.
Is there some way I can make the spacing look right?!!