Re: How to suppress bar lines?

From: Jan van Dijk
Subject: Re: How to suppress bar lines?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:08:18 +0200

You might want to add the following line to your score:

\set Score.timing = ##f

This will remove the automatic creation of barlines.

You can add barlines manually using \bar "|".

But it will also change the behavour of the use of accidentals.

Therefor you might want to add the following code before your score:

increaseBarNumber = \applyContext

#(lambda (x)

(let ((measurepos (ly:context-property x 'measurePosition)))

; Only increase bar number if not at start of measure.

; This way we ensure that you won't increase bar number twice

; if two parallel voices call increaseBarNumber simultanously:

(if (< 0 (ly:moment-main-numerator measurepos)) ; ugh. ignore grace part

(begin

(ly:context-set-property!

(ly:context-property-where-defined x 'internalBarNumber)

'internalBarNumber

(1+ (ly:context-property x 'internalBarNumber)))

(ly:context-set-property!

(ly:context-property-where-defined x 'currentBarNumber)

'currentBarNumber

(1+ (ly:context-property x 'currentBarNumber)))

; set main part of measurepos to zero, leave grace part as it is:

(ly:context-set-property!

(ly:context-property-where-defined x 'measurePosition)

'measurePosition

(ly:make-moment 0 1

(ly:moment-grace-numerator measurepos)

(ly:moment-grace-denominator measurepos)))))))

% Named Increasing BAR

nibar = #(define-music-function (parser location x) (string?)

#{

\bar $x

\increaseBarNumber

#})

% Increasing BAR

ibar = \nibar "|"

with the command \nibar you can place every possible barline you like

\ibar is a shortcut for \nibar "|"