Re: please help a newbie with partial measures

From: Patrick Schmidt
Subject: Re: please help a newbie with partial measures
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 00:10:01 +0200

Hi Rose,

Am 14.08.2010 um 16:39 schrieb Rose Mawhorter:

Hi all,
I've been stewing over what should be simple all afternoon. I documentation seems to be getting me no where. I'm working on entering an old hymn. The piece has an upbeat, which I'm having a bit of trouble with. The partial measures also repeat throughout the hymn. My trouble is that I can't seem to figure out how to make the bar lines land in the right places.

I'm not sure but I think this is what you want:
\version "2.13.24"
\include "english.ly"

world = {
  \key g \major
  \time 3/2
  \aikenHeads
  \autoBeamOff
  %structure
  \partial 2 s2
  s1.*3 |%1-3
  s1 \bar "|" \break
  \partial 2 s2 |%4
  s1.*3 |%5-7
  s1 \bar "|" \break
  \partial 2 s2 |%8
  s1.*3 |%9-11
  s1 \bar "|" \break
  \partial 2 s2 |%12
  s1.*3 |%13-15
  s1 \bar "|."
}

melody = \relative c'' {
b4. a8 |    % A regular upbeat
g2. g4 fs g |%1
a1 d4. c8 |%2
b2. a4 g fs |%3
g1      % A partial measure that compliments the upbeat
b4. a8 |%4       % Hear starts the repeat of the first section
g2. g4 fs g |%5
a1 d4. c8 |%6
b2. a4  g fs |%7
g1 b4. b8 |%8 % A unique section. Note the partial first and last measure.
a2. b4 c d |%9
c2 ( b) b4. b8 |%10
a2. b4 c b |%11
b2 ( a) b4. a8 |%12   % Another repeat of the first section
g2. g4 fs g |%13
a1 d4. c8 |%14
b2. a4 g fs |%15
g1  %16
}

\score {
  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice {
      \world
    }
    \new Voice {
      \melody

I used a "ghost voice" for your partials.
In two places you used square brackets but I think you meant to typeset slurs. ([] can be used to override automatic beaming.) Be careful with the pipe symbol. It automatically checks bars and should only be placed after complete bars/measures.

Hope this helps,
patrick

I could use a complicated set of repeats but the problem is that if I do that the lyrics line will be complicated as well. There are three verses to this hymn. Standard hymn writing doesn't have the verses double back. You repeat when you begin the second verse. What are my options here? I've put the code below so you can see the challenge that I'm up against.
Thanks,
Rose

world = {
  \key g \major
  \time 3/2
  \aikenHeads
  \autoBeamOff
  \partial 2
}

melody = \relative c'' {
  \world
b4. a8 |    % A regular upbeat
g2. g4 fs g |
a1 |
d4. c8 |
b2. a4 g fs |
g1 |     % A partial measure that compliments the upbeat
b4. a8 |       % Hear starts the repeat of the first section
g2. g4 fs g |
a1 |
d4. c8 |
b2. a4  g fs |
g1 |
b4. b8 | % A unique section. Note the partial first and last measure.
a2. b4 c d |
c2 [ b] |
b4. b8 |
a2. b4 c b |
b2 [ a] |
b4. a8 |   % Another repeat of the first section
g2. g4 fs g |
a1 |
d4. c8 |
b2. a4 g fs |