Re: please help a newbie with partial measures

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: please help a newbie with partial measures
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:19:37 +0100

James Lowe wrote Saturday, August 14, 2010 7:16 PM

I looked at the URL you referred to, it does seem odd from my point of view that while there is a partial on the first bar, that partial instead of being made up on the last bar of the piece is actually made up after the first few bars and then a new partial is started in the next bar and made up a few bars down again.

Many hymns are set out this way, with either a
single or double line at the end of each line of
music, even though it's not a complete bar.  It's
so each line of music matches up with a line of
text in the verses beneath.  It's not really a
bar line, more a line to indicate the end of the
line of text.  I've not tried, but I can imagine
setting it in LilyPond might be tricky.

Trevor