Re: [OT] tempo detection experiment (using lilypond!)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: [OT] tempo detection experiment (using lilypond!)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:09:48 +0100

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 03:44:26PM -0400, Mike Blackstock wrote:
> Hey, it's excellent I think. I say 'I think' cause I'm on a library
> computer and it's hard to judge the 'travel' of the keys and when they
> hit the bed so to speak and there's no sound.. Is there suppose to be
> a metronome sound?

There are three metronome settings:
- visual (default)
- audio
- none

You can switch between these on the main "game options" screen.
For technical reasons, you cannot have both visual and audio at
the same time.

> Nevertheless, I was getting around 98% so there's room from improvement.
> (In me - not the program). I see I start slightly ahead of the beat,
> then catch up, then slightly behind.

To quote the "help" for this experiment:  (upper-right corner of
the game)
------
Rhythm Grade: This is an approximate grade for how well your
rhythms fit into your tempo. This grade calculation is known to be
incorrect in some circumstances — testing a better way of grading
exercises will be my next experiment. :)
------

I wrote a bunch of extra information about the algorithm and my
future plans in this email, but I've now deleted it -- the
information might "taint" people doing the experiment.  If you'd
like to discuss it more, please wait until 1 Oct 2010, then ask
away.  :)

Cheers,
- Graham