Manipulating grobs before line-breaks

From: Jonas Müthing
Subject: Manipulating grobs before line-breaks
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:59:33 +0200

Hi out there,

I have the following problem: Lilypond has the rather unusual standard behaviour of printing hairpins, ties etc at line breaks right into the bar line. This is not the normal way to do it, if you look at traditionally engraved music, these signs end just before the bar line. I have found a way to correct this using the following overrides

        \once \override Score.BarLine #'X-extent = #'( -.4 . -.4 )
                (to move all grobs further away from the barline)
\once \override Score.BarLine #'space-alist = #'((right-edge extra- space . .5))
                (to close the now existing gap between bar line and staff)

This works quite good. But there is still one problem. If a hairpin is broken and continues on the next page, it is affected by the right- edge command. Therefore, by closing the gap between systems and bar line, I also move the broken hairpin back and it is now touching the bar line again.

Is there any way to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jonas