Re: Sustaining to end of measure (to bar line)?

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: Sustaining to end of measure (to bar line)?
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 14:37:28 +0200

On Aug 22, 2010, at 7:43 AM, Jesse Bye wrote:

On 8/21/2010 1:55 PM, Jesse Bye wrote:
I'm writing a piece of music where I'd like to sustain some notes to the
end of a measure:

\set tieWaitForNote = ##t
\set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
e,4~\sustainOn fis~ b~ <e, fis b cis>4~
% 10
<e fis b cis>1\fermata\sustainOff

With the above code, the sustain bracket ends immediately after the
final notes (e fis b cis). I'd like it to extend to the end of the
measure (to the bar line). Is this possible? I had a similar issue
previously extending a trill to the end of a measure, and was able to
solve it by using " \override TrillSpanner #'to-barline = ##t ". Is
there something similar that I can tweak for the sustain spanner?

OK, I've made some progress here. Using " \override Staff.PianoPedalBracket #'shorten-pair = #'(0 . -8.0) " I can manually adjust the length of the pedal bracket. This allows me to achieve the desired effect. However, it still seems that there should be a more automatic way to do this -- such as with the TrillSpanner "to-barline" override.

Yes there should be: