Re: Meterless typesetting help

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Meterless typesetting help
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 15:50:15 +0200

On 6 September 2010 15:29, Richie Gress <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am trying to engrave music that has no meter; this is what I need
> help doing:

> I need to engrave a score that has no time signature: I was thinking
> about entering the time signature in but having a universal command
> that will hide it whenever it changes.

  \override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = ##f

> I need to specify where I want the barlines to go.

Use  \cadenzaOn  and explicit bar lines with  \bar "|" .
You'll probably also need  \bar ""  to permit line breaks.
See NR 1.2.3 Displaying rhythms > Unmetered music

> I need to have some staves disappear when they only have rests in them,
> and then reappear later when they begin to have music again.

That's the purpose of  \RemoveEmptyStaffContext  (isn't the right name
\RemoveEmptyStaves now?).
See NR 1.6.2 Modifying single staves > Hiding staves

> And finally I need to set the paper size to 8.5 * 11''

That's "letter", right?

  \paper {
    #(set-paper-size "letter")

NR 4.1.1 Paper size

> Could I have a little bit of help in doing these things, especially
> with the rhythms I need?  I appreciate it very much...

Hope this helps.

Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden>