Re: Skipping notes in \lyricsto

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Skipping notes in \lyricsto
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 23:10:03 +0100

Tim Rowe wrote Skipping notes in \lyricsto

Is there any way to get lyrics to completely skip some notes in the melody? (This is essentially for a fakesheet, and the notes I want to skip are a cue for an instrumental part.) It's not a melisma, so I
don't want extender notes or hyphens. I thought of splitting the
melody into separate variables and only applying \lyricsto to the
relevant ones, which might work (the splits don't come in nice places, though, because of an awkwardly placed volta), but I wondered whether
there was an easier way.

You can use \skip 1 in \lyricsto to skip one note
of any duration.  (The 1 or any integer has to be
present, but is ignored in lyrics which derive their
duration from associated music).  To skip more notes
use \repeat unfold x { \skip 1 }.

You can see some examples of this in

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/techniques-specific-to-lyrics#lyrics-and-repeats

Trevor