Re: anybody understand the instrumentCueName docs?

From: Keith E OHara
Subject: Re: anybody understand the instrumentCueName docs?
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:41:05 -0700

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 02:05:00 -0700, Trevor Daniels wrote:

Keith E OHara wrote Tuesday, October 05, 2010 7:18 AM

   \new CueVoice \with {
     instrumentCueName = "ob."
   } \new Voice {
[ . . . ]
this example does not create a new Voice _within_ the CueVoice - it
creates it in parallel with it, both within a Staff context.

Yep. But from the grammar alone, one would think it works like
  \new Staff \with {instrumentName=#"oboe"}
  \new Voice { a b c d }

Trevor Daniels wrote:

If voice or cuevoice contexts are created, explicitly or implicitly,
in music which is passed to \addQuote the cue notes are not extracted
correctly. A \set command will implicitly create a voice.
But, just for the record, we may safely \set properties in the *existing* Voice,
within a music expression that we intend to quote.

You can get round this by using tags.
  [ . . . ]
  \tag #'cue  \set CueVoice.instrumentCueName = "ob."

Now that should work, scaled to a full score. We need to tag this anyway to clean "ob."
and the like from the score. (killCues lets the labels live.) The snippet I said I liked does the
same, except using Voice.instrumentCueName="ob."

It is a long way, however, from the examples in the documentation, to these
solutions.

I am leaning toward suggesting dropping instrumentCueName in favor of simple
\markup, once I check a few things.
-Keith