Re: anybody understand the instrumentCueName docs?

From: Keith E OHara
Subject: Re: anybody understand the instrumentCueName docs?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 01:40:49 -0700

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 02:05:00 -0700, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:

Moving the \set instrumentCueName into the Voice
context,
as you suggest, will change the time when the CueVoice context is
created
and this may be why it then works.  But that is not the root cause
of the
problem, so I would not want to change the documentation until this
is
properly understood.

I no longer see any reason to use instrumentCueName for the labels that identify the
instrument playing cue notes.  Doing so makes it easy to make subtle errors, and offers
no advantage over \tag '#part s4*0^\markup\tiny"oboe"

The instrumentCueName is not preserved for re-use next time we cue that
instrument; we have to re-\set it each time.
It is not automatically placed according to the CueVoice direction; one needs
to manually override the #'direction, of the InstrumentSwitch grob.
It is not always placed near the first cue note, but rather at the moment where
it is \set.
It is printed even where killCues remove the cue notes; one needs to \tag it to
keep it off the score.

It seems instrumentCueName is primarily intended for labeling the instrument a
player switches to, on that player's part. ('CueName' does seem an odd think to
call this particular label.)  You store it once with \addInstrumentDefinition
along with the other things that should change at the same time, and re-use it
every time the player needs to pick up that instrument.  Using
instrumentCueName to label cue notes is a perversion of its intended purpose.

Now, maybe it would be nice if addQuote stored a label, like
addInstrumentDefinition does, to be printed on each \cueDuring and supressed by
\killCues, but things don't work that way now.

Unless somebody points out redeeming value to using instrumentCueName, I'll
sleep on it a couple days then suggest to Trevor specific cuts from the
documentation. My motivation is to save some new users from the confusion I
went through.