how to position \tempo in a non-top staff

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: how to position \tempo in a non-top staff
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 13:24:08 +0200 (CEST)

Folks,

consider this snippet:

  \relative <<
    \new Staff { d1 }
    \new Staff { \tempo "foo" d1 }
    \new Staff { d1 }

Regardless of the location of \tempo, the tempo indication is put on
top of the system.

Now add this:

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score
      \remove "Metronome_mark_engraver"
    }
    \context {
      \Staff
      \consists "Metronome_mark_engraver"

I've expected that the tempo indication is now positioned in the
second staff, however, it suddenly appears in all staves.  A bug?

What must I do to position a tempo mark on a specific staff?  Reason
for my question is that in many vocal scores the order from top to
bottom is

  vocal staves
  tempo indication
  piano staves