Changing stencil of full measure rest (R1, not r1)

From: joemaffei
Subject: Changing stencil of full measure rest (R1, not r1)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 09:23:42 -0700 (PDT)

I'm new to Lilypond and I've been working on a project notating chord charts
(slash notation). In Sibelius, I notate song sections that are repeated
verbatim (i.e. "Chorus") using a bar with a hidden full measure rest. Above
it, I add boxed text with the section's name. In place of the regular glyph
for a full measure rest, I use a symbol like % or something similar.

Is there a way to override the stencil for a full measure rest in Lilypond?
To replace the stencil for r1, I use:

\once \override Rest #'stencil = ly:ly:text-interface::print
\once \override Rest #'text = #(markup #:musicglyph "scripts.prallprall" )

But when I use r1, it's not centered and looks bad. How can I replace the
stencil of R1 instead?

UPDATE: I found a more elegant solution, making the MultiMeasureRest
transparent and lowering the MultiMeasureRestText using whitebox as markup.

I did figure out that the problem was that I was trying to change the
stencil of Rest, when I should've been trying to modify MultiMeasureRest
instead. I was able to successfully change the stencil to
"scripts.prallprall", but it was flushed to the left of the measure. I would
still like to know why changing the stencil messes up the alignment and how
to fix that problem -- for future reference.