Re: voice sharing the same note on different staves

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: voice sharing the same note on different staves
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 12:19:52 +0100

Valentin Villenave <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't know about Swiss French, but here in France we rarely use "ut"
> at all; it is merely used by snobbish people when referring to a
> piece's tonality: "Sonate en Ut Majeur" (but regular people will just
> say "Do Majeur").

Interesting, because it is not snobbish at all to say
"quatre-vent-dix-neuf" which other French-speaking nations have replaced
by "nonante-neuf" long ago.

In English, one would be considered snobbish when starting a sentence
with, say, "Four score and seven", let alone "Four score and nineteen".

In contrast, "ut" rather than "do" appears harmless.

To a foreigner, that is.

Doh.

--
David Kastrup