Re: Ossia vertical spacing

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Ossia vertical spacing
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 17:21:40 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Payne" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 7:56 PM

On 09/11/10 22:28, Phil Holmes wrote:
I'm trying to create an Ossia staff above my main staff, using the alignAboveContext property. This works as illustrated in the NR. However, I'd like more vertical spacing. The example given in the docs is very tight, and mine appears with the clef touching the main staff as shown in the image. I've tried to find what controls the spacing and failed. Could someone point me in the right direction, please?

As a quick and easy hack, I suggest a transparent markup above the main staff: ^\markup { \fontsize #6 " " }

Nick

Thanks. After playing around a bit with this, and looking on snippets, etc., I came up with this:

\override TextScript #'Y-offset = #-5
r4 _" " ^\markup { \column { \vspace #1 "SomeTextOrSpace" } } r8 r4 bes,8 \bar "|:" % 6

The Y-offset override provides extra spacing without moving the text away from the stave. The first markup (_" ") places a space below the text and the override makes sure it's well spaced. The second longer markup provides extra space to the stave above and then allow you to put in a cue name or whatever, or a space. I'm quite pleased with the result, even though I don't 100% understand. Think I'll need to wait until 2.14 is released before it will work as a snippet though, because of the \vspace.

We end up with the attached, which is pretty much what I wanted.

--
Phil Holmes