Re: Treating a tie as a slur

From: Jan Warchoł
Subject: Re: Treating a tie as a slur
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 13:43:05 +0100

2010/11/14 David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Valentin Villenave <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 12:38 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Means a tie, as indicated by the user.
>
> Oh. So, setting tieWaitForNote would disable the "automatic-slurs"
> feature?

They would be mutually exclusive, and both off by default, resulting in
a warning instead.

>> Means bad input.  Configurable to be treated as a slur to b.
>
> Then it would no longer be "bad input", would it?

Correct.

> My main concern is that such a change would amount to make the input
> syntax more "fault-tolerant", which isn't the direction we've been
> taking so far.

As long as it is not the default.

> That being said, unterminated ties are currently allowed and do not
> produce any warning, so I don't think the current situation is optimal
> either. If anything, we could at least output a "warning: unfinished
> tie. A slur will be printed instead".

> How does it seems to you?

I'd rather just warn, unless a specific option is set.  I don't think it
makes much sense to both warn and typeset a slur.

I agree with Marc Hohl - converting wrognly defined ties into slurs should be done by converters.
However, the behaviour described above by David would be acceptable to me.

cheers,
Jan