Re: Shrinking beams along with noteheads

From: Richie Gress
Subject: Re: Shrinking beams along with noteheads
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 07:38:55 -0500

nachkan wrote:
I am simply trying to explicitly write out a glissando in small notes (of
a specified size), while keeping the rhythmic notation accurate. They
happen to be 64th notes, so they have four beams connecting the stems. It
is easy enough to make the noteheads the desired size with e.g. "\override
NoteHead #'font-size = #-2". However, I cannot figure out how to make the
beams smaller as well - which is a fairly big deal when you have four
beams. I see that I can make the beam lines themselves thinner by writing
e.g. "\override Beam #'thickness = #0.35", but they are still spaced the
same distance apart as they normally would be. I cannot find any reference
to any variable or property which modifies the distance (or "gap") between
the beams (the Beam object's "gap" property, while sounding promising,
seems to do nothing) - if I could, this problem would be solved.

What I am looking for is essentially the same as what \grace does, but the
notation it creates is too small for me, and I want to be able to set the
size to somewhere in between grace note size and normal note size.

I thought this would be a common enough problem but after hours of
searching the internet, the lilypond docs, and these forums, I haven't
been able to find a solution. Is there some way to modify the beam
spacings in this way? Is there some way to alter the \grace command to
produce the desired effect? Or any other way of approaching this problem?
I don't mind doing some Scheme or other technical/geeky stuff, but I am
currently at a loss as to how to proceed with this.

Any help is really appreciated, thank you.

Lilypond makes this easy:
\set fontSize = #-2
(music)
\unset fontSize
(other music)

It affects beam size, stem width and height, note head size, accidental size, and markup font size, nothing else, probably making it the ideal solution for you :)