Re: Extracting pitch names from music

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Extracting pitch names from music
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 02:13:16 +0100

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 7:02 PM, Michael Ellis <address@hidden> wrote:
> Putting the \midi block inside a separate \score block solved the audio
> doubling issue.  I could still use some suggestions regarding how to control
> the font properties of the NoteNames output.  With lyrics, I can do things
> like
> \context {
>      \Lyrics
>             %% Pack stanzas a little closer vertically
>             minimumVerticalExtent = #'(0 . 0)
>          %% decrease lyric font size by 1 increment
>      \override LyricText #'font-size = #-1
>    }

You should be able to do something similar with
\context {
     \NoteNames
     \override NoteName #'foo = #bar
}

> Just found the markup macro in the docs.  Changing
>     (ly:grob-set-property! grob 'text new-name)
>
>     (ly:grob-set-property! grob 'text (markup #:italic #:smaller new-name))
>
> does what I'm looking for.  Is this the "right" way to handle issues like
> this? By that question, I think  I really mean "Is there any downside to
> using Scheme to solve problems like this?"

Well, the downside is the need to use a Scheme function at all in the
first place :-)

But since you're using one anyway, you might as well fiddle with it to
your liking. That being said, I hope I'll be able to "fix" the note
names function soon, which may make things simpler (e.g. having the
ability to choose your note-names language, etc.)

Cheers,
Valentin.