Re: ottava bracket and fingering

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: ottava bracket and fingering
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 12:54:33 +0100

Nick Payne <address@hidden> writes:

> On 18/12/10 22:32, Phil Holmes wrote:
>
>> The OttavaBracket is a part of the Staff context, and music is in
>> the voice context - so you need:
>> Staff.OttavaBracket
>
> If OttavaBracket doesn't exist in the Voice context, shouldn't an
> error be generated in the log when the overrides are encountered,
> rather than the file building without any error indication at all.

Personally, I'd prefer to have unspecified overrides not apply to the
current context, but to the appropriate parenting context.

Where "appropriate" is likely the next parenting context having an
engraver concerned with the property in question.  One way to make this
work could be dynamically: just record the override in a "neutral" data
structure associated with the current stack of contexts, and sort the
override into the right context the first time an engraver asks for it.
Trigger a warning if nobody asks for it ever.

--
David Kastrup