Re: Clarification of Gregorian Chant terminology

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Clarification of Gregorian Chant terminology
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:23:47 -0000

Francisco Vila wrote Thursday, December 30, 2010 4:58 PM

2010/12/30 James Lowe <address@hidden>:

I am currently re-organizing the Ancient Music section in the Notation Reference which includes some standardization to bring things into line with current documentation policy and other sections.

As I don't know that much about the terminology and only have google as my reference I wondered if anyone can tell me if the term 'Augmentum dots' is a proper term (rather than 'Morae') or just something that some decided to use because it describes this notation?

I understand that Morae is a plural for 'Mora' in 'Punctum mora vocis'
which is the complete name of the dot.

Yes, I think a punctum mora is a dot after the note,
and this is also called an augmentum.  There is also an
augmentum duplex which is two dots (one above the
other) following a note.  I don't think LilyPond
has implemented the latter.  I don't know this stuff,
I just looked at http://home.gna.org/gregorio/gregorioxml/details

Likewise the term 'Gregorian Square Neume Ligatures', could I for instance just call them 'Gregorian Square Neumes' or whatever the plural is?

Gregorian neumes are typeset as ligatures in a similar way as white
notation ligatures are, that's why the phrase contains the word
ligatures.

Yes, this section is mainly about ligatures, so that
word should be retained in the heading.

Trevor