Re: Skipping time without any output

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Skipping time without any output
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 15:32:14 +0100

On 31 December 2010 14:59, Sven Axelsson <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm I misreading the manual here? It says that s4 will create an
> invisible rest which takes up space in the system, while \skip will
> just skip time and create no output. But the example in section 1.2.2
> Invisible rests clearly shows that \skip generates visible space. As
> far as I can see s4 and \skip 4 generates exactly the same output.

They generate the same output only in note mode and chord mode.
That's what is explained in the doc NR 1.2.2.
You must use  \skip  when entering lyrics for example.
AFAIK  s4  is like an invisible note.  It would create  Staff  and
 Voice  contexts if you use only  s4  but no output if you use  \skip .

See the 2 snippets (pictures) at the end of
NR 1.2.2 Writing rests > Invisible rests
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/writing-rests.html#invisible-rests

> Is there another way of just skipping time with no output whatsoever?
> This is quite often needed when padding a partial bar in an
> \alternative, for instance. I have dealt with this by using a scaling
> duration on the last note in the bar, and that works, but frankly it
> can be a bit hard to calculate the correct duration sometimes. And it
> would be nicer if there was an explicit command available.

What do you want to do?
Maybe if you provide a minimal example of code we could give some
suggestions.

Have you read  NR 1.4.1 Long repeats > Normal repeats ?
It provides 2 examples (snippets) showing how to handle partial and
alternatives.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/long-repeats.html#normal-repeats

They do not use a scaling duration but instead they change measure
length  \set Timing.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 3 4)
But most of the times it is not necessary.  Just remember to put
 \partial  only at the beginning of the score.

Cheers,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden>