Re: beaming in 2.13 - other question

From: Peter Van Kranenburg
Subject: Re: beaming in 2.13 - other question
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 13:47:09 +0100

On 1/9/11 4:02 AM, Carl Sorensen wrote:
On 1/8/11 5:08 PM, "Peter Van Kranenburg"
<address@hidden>  wrote:

Dear all,

Consider the following example (adapted from the manual):

\version "2.13.44"
\relative c'' {
\time 3/16
\set Timing.beatStructure = #'(2 1)
\set Timing.beamExceptions =
    #'(                         ;start of alist
       (end .                   ;entry for end of beams
        (                       ;start of alist of end points
         ((1 . 32) . (6))       ;rule for 1/32 beams
        )))                     %close all entries
c16 c c |
c32 c c c c c |
c32 c c c c16 |
}

In the third bar, the 16th is connected to the 32s, while the rule for
16th's says that the third sixteenth should be unbeamed.

There's a conflict between your understanding and the rules.  A beam with 4
1/32 notes and 1 1/16 note is a 1/32 beam, so it's doing exactly what it is
supposed to do.  It's beaming it in 6/32, which is what you've asked it to
do.

Ok. I understand. Thank you for the explanation.

As far as I know, it doesn't make much musical sense to do what you're
asking for, so having it not work in autobeaming doesn't seem to be too much
of a problem.

My aim was to group 8th notes in a 6/8 meter as (2 1 2 1), which corresponds to the desired articulation, but in the same score I want the 16th grouped as (6 6) instead of (4 2 4 2). As I understand it now, this is impossible without manual beaming.

For the score I'm working on it's not crucial. It just would have been nice.

Best,
Peter

If you want this to work, you'll need to do manual beaming.

Thanks,

Carl