Re: ties through parallel construction

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: ties through parallel construction
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:54:56 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Father Gordon Gilbert" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 11:11 AM
Subject: ties through parallel construction

Hi all,

In the following construction:

      <d a'>2 ~ <cis a'> ~ {<< \stemDown <d a'> \\ \stemUp {d'4 cis} >>}

the second "tilde" seems to have no effect.  I want to tie the 'a' in
the second chord to the 'a' in the third chord in the parallel bar.
Am I missing something?  How do I tie such a thing through this
construction?  Everything else about this line seems to work properly.

Fr. Gordon Gilbert
Penetanguishene, ON

You can't make ties (or slurs) continue into or out of voice changes - you need to arrange it so that all the tied notes exist within a voice, and use spacer rests if necessary in the other voice. Something like:

 { \stemUp {s2 s2 d'4 cis} }

should do what you want, I think.

Phil Holmes