Re: why chords with notes of different duration is not supported?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: why chords with notes of different duration is not supported?
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 22:04:46 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>> For the record, I append the patch.  I tested it just slightly.  One
>> area that could be problematic is what happens in Midi, and what total
>> time is assigned to the construct when typesetting (should likely be
>> the shortest, and probably is just undefined in the current state of
>> the patch).
>
> Postscriptum: strike that "problematic" idea.  The stem engraver is
> not involved with timing of parallel passages at all.
>
> So the patch will merely reduce the number of warnings.  I also
> apparently was wrong about the stems merely overlapping: you _do_ get
> a common stem already, just with a stern warning.  My patch merely
> removes the warning when the common stem does not result in an
> ambiguous visual representation.  It does not affect the output at
> all.
>
> So I misremembered a few things.  The patch is not really invasive as
> it only makes Lilypond be quiet when things work out according to what
> one can find in string notation.

No comment this time round, either.

Sometimes I am inclined to just commit and be done.  After all, this
would just omit a warning in working cases, and would fix the totally
broken warning message when breves and longas get into play.  Of course,
this latter part would require translations of the fixed message to be
placed in the message catalogs.

--
David Kastrup