Re: Understanding herd of curly braces

From: Michael Ellis
Subject: Re: Understanding herd of curly braces
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 16:40:25 -0500

Hi Seth,

It sounds as though you've not had previous exposure to programming
languages where nested braces (curly and otherwise) are common.  The
short answer to your question is that the braces identify which pieces
of text go with which command.   The indentation levels are only
significant in the sense that they make the file easier for humans to
read.  The computer doesn't care as long as the opening and closing
braces are matched.

Most programmers use special text editors with features that help you
see which opening and closing braces belong with each other, e.g.  if
you put the cursor on a particular brace, the editor will highlight
its mate.  I won't presume to recommend a particular editor to you --
better to find a friend who's a programmer and get him/her to help you
choose one and get started using it.

I know this probably isn't much help, but at least it may point you in
the right direction.

Cheers,
Mike