Re: engraving question - temporary voices in vocal music

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: engraving question - temporary voices in vocal music
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 20:32:17 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden>
To: "lilypond-user" <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2011 8:00 PM

Hi,

i have a SATB choral piece and occasionally some voices are split in
two. If the rhythyms differ, a polyphonic notation must be used -
that's obvious. But, what to do in the situation pictured in the
problem.png attachment? Is the notation used self-explanatory?
It's all about the first note. In my opinion it's clear that it should
be sang by both voices, but maybe an explicit polyphonic notation
should be used (see explicit.png)?
Do engraving books say anything about this?
What do you think about this?

cheers,
Janek

I've seen both, but personally I think that the right way to do this is to write each note explicitly - to a performer it's reasonably obvious with either, but I think it's just clearer and less open to doubt if both notes are written out explicitly.

--
Phil Holmes