Extending stem length without affecting spacing

From: Jérémie Lumbroso
Subject: Extending stem length without affecting spacing
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 20:35:55 +0100

Hello,

I am typesetting a piano score, in which I have chords which I want to span both staves. I've determined that this is still not possible, and found that the only suggested workaround was to align notes on both staves and to extend the stem of one of the notes to join with the other. Unfortunately, whenever I extend the length of the stem to that effect, LilyPond adjusts the spacing between the two staves so as to ensure there are no collisions.

Is it possible to override the stem length, without it affecting LilyPond's calculations for staff spacing? I'm wary about locking interstaff space altogether (and I'm not sure how to go about it), but perhaps that is the only solution?

Best Regards,
Jeremie