[OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: Graham Percival
Subject: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 19:53:13 +0000

Hi all,

My PhD research has swept me into the direction of automatic music
performance.  In particular, generating realistic-sounding audio
from sheet music.  In particular, going from a .ly file with a
single staff of violin music to a wav file that sounds like it was
performed by a violinist with 1-2 years of experience.

For example, this:

\relative c' {
  \set Staff.instrumentName = "violin-1"
  \key d \major
  \time 4 = 72

  a4\f d fis8-. a-. r4
  d16( cis b a) g4 \breathe e8\p( g) fis4
}

becomes this:
  http://percival-music.ca/audio/example-input.wav.mp3
with no manual tweaking, human input, or recorded audio samples.

Many more examples, audio, video, and theory, on my website:
  http://percival-music.ca/vivi.html

Cheers,
- Graham