Re: How to do jazz-style bar repeats

From: jakob lund
Subject: Re: How to do jazz-style bar repeats
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:19:27 +0100

Hola

> Now, I am not sure how to actually use this in a file.  I tried just using
> \include in my file and putting the \inlineMMRN R2.*4 where I want it to
> appear.  I ended up with 3/4 time, five empty bars with rehearsal marks at
> the top of the score, followed by a repeat and six bars with the desired
> indication of four bars to be repeated, followed by another repeat.  And the
> bars where I want the effect to render didn't.  Obviously that was not as you
> intended it to be used!

R2. is a full bar rest in 3/4 time (a dotted 2/4 rest that is). For
4/4 you just use R1, and multiply with the number of bars, like in
R1*8 for 8 bars.

There's still a problem though -- look at this example

#(define (whiteunder grob) (grob-interpret-markup grob
  (markup #:vcenter #:whiteout #:pad-x 1 (ly:grob-property grob 'text))))

inlineMMRN = {
  \once \override Score.MultiMeasureRest #'layer = #-2
  \once \override Score.MultiMeasureRestNumber #'layer = #-1
  \once \override Score.MultiMeasureRestNumber #'Y-offset = #0
  \once \override Score.MultiMeasureRestNumber #'stencil = #whiteunder
}

solos = {
  \override Score.MultiMeasureRest #'minimum-length = #20
  \bar "|:"
  \inlineMMRN R1*4
  \inlineMMRN R1*4
  \bar ":|"
}

{
  <<
    \new ChordNames \chordmode {
      s1
      a1*4:m7
      b:m7-5
    }
    \new Staff {
      \time 4/4
      s1
      \set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-box-alphabet
      \set Score.skipBars = ##t
      \override MultiMeasureRest #'expand-limit = 1
      \solos

How can we center the chord symbols above the inlineMMR's?

Also: Does anybody know how to produce the `fat bracketed' repeat bars
often used in jazz (example in the Real Book exerpt attached to Tim's
first mail in this thread)?

Jakob.