Re: pick up notes and chord names not lining up with first measure

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: pick up notes and chord names not lining up with first measure
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 09:02:17 +0100

Hi,

2011/3/6 john ware <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble with pickup notes and chord names.
> I define ChordNames and a melody expression. The desired output is one pdf
>  with the chords and score and a second pdf with just chords and bar lines.
>
> The issue I am having is when the melody has pickup notes.
>
> I use the "\partial 4" keyword in the melody and "s4" in the chords and
> everything looks perfect in the first pdf; nice looking score with chord
> names above.
>
> However, in the second pdf, having the s4 causes
> extra bar lines to show up in the alternative sections.
>
> When I remove the s4, the chords only file is fine but the score with
> chords is a mess.

The problem is that you didn't specify \partial in chords too, and so
when Lily compiles the score containing only chords, it doesn't know
about it.

Let me show you how this works:

musicA = { \partial 4 e8 e8 f2 f2 f2 f2 }

musicB = { c4 d1 d1 }

%% if you compile
\score { <<
    \musicA
    \musicB
  >> }

%% Lily looks there and says: "Oh, there is a partial measure in musicA -
%% let's put a partial measure everywhere"

%% but imagine what Lily thinks if you try to compile

\score {
    \musicB
  }

%% Lily reads this as
%%    \score { c4 d1 d1 }
%% - notice there is no partial here at all!

%% it works similarly with time signatures. Try this:

musicC = { c1 \time 2/4 d8 d8 d8 d8 e2 }
musicD = { b2 b2 f4 f4 f4 f4 }

\score { \musicD } %% time signature doesn't change!

Hope this is clear.

cheers,
Janek