Re: Compile for Mac

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: Compile for Mac
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 14:47:59 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 23:13:38 -0700
To: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>, LilyPond User
Subject: Compile for Mac

>Tim Sheasby <tim <at>> writes:
>> Using lilydev on a Virtual Box ubuntu machine ­ how do I compile a Mac
>> Tim Sheasby
>> tim <at>
>Ok, I just built LilyPond on OSX 10.6.  Takes a bit of time to get
>everything set up,
>but the build came off flawlessly.
>Here's the recipe:
>1. Install XCode.  I installed version 3.2.6, because it was free.
>Look for the "Looking for XCode 3?" link at the lower right of the screen.
>Follow it.
>You will need to sign up with Apple, but there's no cost.
>2. Install MacPorts.  I installed version 1.9.2 for Snow Leopard.
>3.  Edit my ~/.profile file to add the following lines:
>export PATH=~/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
>4.  Install the necessary prerequisites for lilypond
>sudo port install git-core
>sudo port install guile
>sudo port install fontforge
>sudo port install mftrace
>sudo port install flex
>sudo port install netpbm
>sudo port install fontconfig (This one was actually not necessary --
>sudo port install pango (Also already installed)
>sudo port install fondu
>sudo port install t1utils
>The next two ports are optional, but I did them anyway so I could
>build the documentation.
>sudo port install imagemagick
>sudo port install dblatex
>Create symlinks to libguile*.dylib called *.so
>cd /opt/local/lib
>ls -lG libguile* | grep lrwx
>This gives a list of files in the form of
>libguile-SPECIFIC_FILE_NAME.dylib -> libguile-LINKED_TO_FILE_NAME.dylib
>For each of those files, do
>ln -s libguile-LINKED_TO_FILE_NAME.dylib
>Now it's time to go get set up with lilypond.
>cd ~
>mkdir my-lily-source  (or whatever you want to call it)
>cd my-lily-source
>git clone git://
>copy the following into ~/bin/lilypond-configure:
>#! /bin/bash
># find fontconfig, freetype and pango from DarwinPorts
># -shared flag does not work on mac os x
>SHARED_FLAGS="-bundle -flat_namespace -undefined suppress"
>LDFLAGS="-L/opt/local/lib -lexpat"
># where New Century School Book .pfb files are located:
>./ --noconf
>rm -f config.cache
>--prefix=$(pwd) \
>       --infodir=$(pwd)/out/share/info \
>       --with-ncsb-dir="$NCSB_DIR"
>make it executable:
>chmod +x ~/bin/lilypond-configure
>copy the following into ~/bin/fix-lily-configure
>sed  -i bak 's:usr/include/FlexLexer.h:opt/local/include/Flexlexer.h:'
>make it executable:
>chmod +x ~/bin/fix-lily-configure
>Now it's time to configure lilypond:
>Then you fix your configuration:
>Finally, you make lilypond

I'd like to have a go at this - me with absolutely no real code building
experience other than following CG for building doc in LilyPond (and much
cajoling from Graham).

I'm perfectly comfortable with using Terminal but have never installed the
MacPorts stuff before.

If this works for me then I think it would be really helpful to have in
the CG simply because if I can do it, then anyone who had a modicum of
building code experience can do it and won't have to hunt about the
message boards.

I have Mac OS X 10.6.6 w/ 4GB or RAM on a second gen imac

  Model Name: iMac
  Model Identifier: iMac7,1
  Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Is this enough?

How long do you guesstimate it would take compile (I.e the make bit).