release candidate planning

From: Graham Percival
Subject: release candidate planning
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 21:29:28 +0100

Jan has just fixed the 1 reported Critical bug in release
candidate 5 (a bug wherein the midi output ignored rests).  Unless
I hear otherwise, I'll go ahead with release candidate 6 in 24
hours.

Are there any other known Critical problems?  I'd really like RC 6
or 7 to be the last one.

Users: this is really aimed at you.  Download 2.13.57, test it out
on your scores, etc.  If you're going to find a problem, it would
be really nice if you could find it in the next few days.

A few notes about Critical problems:
- bad output, or even being completely unusable, on operating
  systems released in 2010 or 2011, do *not count*.  I've heard
  some rumors about OSX 10.6.7, but that's not going to hold
  back a stable release.  We didn't support OSX 10.5 for a year
  or two after it was released, so there's plenty of precedence
  for this.
- a segfault in a file with tweaks no longer counts as Critical.
  This policy may change when we actually discuss it during
  the Grand Organization Project, to happen after 2.14.

At the moment, I'm still planning a 7-day "release countdown", but
I'm open to reducing this to 3 days.

Cheers,
- Graham