Re: Old version 2.6.0?

From: Brent Annable
Subject: Re: Old version 2.6.0?
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 22:27:27 +0200

Hey Janek,

I'm using the latest stable version (2.14?).

When I first tried to compile the file, I got at least a dozen messages telling me that files were too old (probably because of the structure, with lots of different files containing information, etc.) and I was a little overwhelmed; I can't honestly say whether there was anything there about convert-ly. I just tried converting again and this time I did find a convert-ly message (in Dutch this time, for some reason), but to be honest I'm SO not a programmer, and even if I had seen it the first time I would have had no idea what to do, and would have asked for help anyway. I would have needed a really dumbed-down message, like "This file is too old for your current version of Lilypond; you need to use a feature called 'convert-ly' to update the file first. To find out how to use it, please visit [link or reference to convert-ly manual]. Everything will be OK - trust me."

Don't know if this helps, but I don't think there's a bug. It's probably just me being either inattentive or scared of technology.

Brent.

2011/6/12 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>
Hi Brent,

2011/6/11 Brent Annable <address@hidden>
> Thanks very much, I'm still relatively new to all this and never knew about convert-ly.

When i tried to compile the files you provided (with version 2.13.61),
i got the following in log:

[...]
error: file too old: 2.6.0 (oldest supported: 2.7.38)
error: consider updating the input with the convert-ly script
[...]

Convert-ly is mentioned here. Was it present in your log?
If not, this means we have a bug - what LilyPond version did you use?
If yes, this means the log message was not good enough, since you
missed some important information. What was misleadig? Maybe the fact
that there were two "errors"? In other words, would

error: file too old: 2.6.0 (oldest supported: 2.7.38). consider
updating the input with the convert-ly script

be better in your opinion?

thanks,
Janek