Re: Voices, ties and rests

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Voices, ties and rests
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:02:05 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> To: "James Harkins" <address@hidden>; "lily-users" <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:50 PM

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Harkins" <address@hidden>
To: "lily-users" <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:15 PM

At Wed, 15 Jun 2011 14:00:13 +0100,
Phil Holmes wrote:
Is there any reason why you've used the "right" voice for the e's in the
lower staff? Would it not be simpler to just have these as chords in the left hand voice, and let Lily handle the ties for you? That way, you don't
need to set the voice for the upper staff at all, and the rests appear
centred.

That doesn't tie from the octave E's in the top staff (end of m1) over to the octave E's in the bottom staff (beginning of m2). This is specifically the (now nonexistent) tie that I'm asking about.

I had used the voice in the hopes that keeping the notes "officially" in the same staff would make it possible to have the ties. But that didn't work either, so you're right, simplifying and taking out the cruft is better, as below.

Oh - I see. I'd realised they were both treble clef, but I'm so used to treble/bass that the possibility of cross-staff ties hadn't occurred to me. I know Lily does cross-staff ties - and often rather nice ones - anyone know if cross-staff ties are possible?

--
Phil Holmes

Meant "cross-staff slurs" in line 3...

--