Re: lyrics vertical movement - help requested.

From: Bill Mooney
Subject: Re: lyrics vertical movement - help requested.
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 13:20:28 +1200

On 17/06/11 18:53, Matthew Collett wrote:
On 17/06/2011, at 1:52 pm, Bill Mooney wrote:

I want to move the lyrics down about half their height.

I'd start from

   \context {
     \Lyrics
       \override VerticalAxisGroup #'nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing
#'basic-distance = 6.5
   }

and tweak the exact value to get the desired effect (the default value is 5.5,
so 6.5 increases that by one staff-line spacing).

Best wishes,
Matthew

>This should help you:
>http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/snippets/spacing
>
>HTH
>--
>Marek Klein

Dear Matthew and Marek,
Many thanks for your help with this.
As you can see in the attached example I have expanded the 'override' completely - but, to achieve a satisfactory result both the (basic-distance . ..) and (minimum-distance . ..) values have to be made equal otherwise one overrides the other in the staff-lyrics spacing (see the second score) giving somewhat unusual, sometimes, results. It would be nice to see it explicitly stated somewhere in the Manual which has priority. My perusal of the Manuals makes me wonder whether in cases like this it might be appropriate to have heavily annotated examples with explanations of what happens when particular values are altered. In the snippet example referred to one might think that the value of 1 would move the lyrics up one space from its 0 position so that to move it down one would use a negative value - but LP doesn't seem to like these here - a possible source of confusion. (It got me! :) ) Eventually I have arrived at the result I wanted - once again the List has proved it worth!
Regards
Bill