Re: error compiling files

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: error compiling files
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:08:07 +0200

On 22 June 2011 19:16, Travis Gould <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am brand new to Lilypond and have just spent 90 minutes trying to figure
> out how to get a simple piece of input (anything) to convert over and be
> displayed as a .pdf file.  I've tried copying bits from the welcome text
> document into a new file and then clicking on "Compile" then "Typeset file"
> and I've tried typing in the various simple examples that are shown in the
> tutorials, but what keeps happening (no matter what I've typed into the text
> document) is this:
>

> Processing `/Users/travisgould/Desktop/bob's happy day.ly'
> Parsing...
> /Users/travisgould/Desktop/bob's happy day.ly:0: warning: no \version
> statement found, please add
> \version "2.14.1"
> for future compatibility
> success: Compilation successfully completed
>

> I've tried adding the \version "2.14.1" command to the text document in
> various ways and places, but the same message keeps coming up when I try to
> compile the document.  I'm using a MacBook with OS X version 10.5.8.  Any
> help or direction would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time and
> for creating lilypond and making it available for free!

Sometimes new users define a variable but actually do not "call" this
variable.  Hence it compiles successfully but no output is displayed.
Do you have a  \score  block in your "bob's happy day.ly"?
If you define a variable with

  myVariable = \relative c' { c1  % my music here, etc. }

do you have in your  \score  block somewhere a

  \myVariable

?

Cheers,
Xavier