Re: chord names with lowered bass

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: chord names with lowered bass
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:11:28 -0500

On Jun 24, 2011, at 10:41 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Hello fellow pond-dwellers,
>
> I'd like to print chords like "c/e" as chord names with "E" as a small index
> to "C" or even "stacked" with a small E below a normal-sized C, without the
> slash.
> How can I achieve that? I didn't find anything like that in the docs nor LSR.
>
> Perhaps I misunderstand the slash-notation (inversion): I use it to define
> the bass string to pick on the guitar.

That is what a slash chord does:  it is usually a triad or tetrad with a bass
note being specified, such as G/A being a G triad (G B D) over an A bass note.
The slash chord is the standard form for this in jazz, rock, folk, etc.  What
you are saying you want to do will be confusing to people used to the standard
nomenclature, just as a cautionary point.  If you're going to be sharing these
charts with other musicians, you might be better off sticking with the standard
format for these types of chords.